Man it is hot out. It got real humid real fast today...
I had to update a client's Symantec Antivirus Server install this morning. I am not big on Symantec & SAV. I have seen mal-ware get right by both the consumer & client versions of the product. Plus, the consure product is damn instrusive, and slows the hell out of any machine it runs over.
Needless to say, I was expecting disaster this morning, but it was not too bad.
What I did:
- Remove the old version of Symantec System Center, reboot the server.
- Install the new SAV server over the old one, reboot the server.
- Reinstall the newest version of Symantec System Center, reboot the server (just like Windows NT).
- Import the new license file.
- Update the client installs from the server. The XP clients have to have the firewall off, and simple file sharing disabled.
The server is a Microsoft Small Business Server 2003 with SP1, MS Exchange. The upgraded version of SAV was 10.0.0 to 10.1.6000.